Thursday 3 March 2011

Initial research

So far I have been researching into the work of Eadweard Muybridge, known for his pioneering work on animal locomotion, using multiple camera to capture motion, and his zoopraxiscope - a device for projecting motion pictures. Muybridge displayed his work on the zoopraxiscope, which he invented in 1879. The zoopraxiscope projected a series of images in successive phases of movement. The horse in motion can be watched here













In 1878, Muybridge answered the debated question of whether all four of a horse's hooves leave the floor when galloping. He managed to successfully photograph a horse in fast motion through a series of photos














Above is a phenakistoscope disc, probably the fist to Muybridge's research, or even made to be handed out and advertise his invention.

I believe that this is an important starting point, as Muybridge was the first to experiment with motion in film. The research I have gathered so far is helping me understand his style and purpose, and is influencing me to begin to think of the final outcome. I think so far with this research I have decided to produce my final film in black and white, as his work was produced without colour.

No comments:

Post a Comment